BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Crispy and Creamy Corn Bread


I recently got the Publix Family Style Magazine in the mail. I always go thru it and read the recipes at least. I found a definite keeper in this moths issue. I have not tested any of the others yet because I have not gone shopping for the stuff to make them but I always have this stuff on hand.



This is a great corn bread. It is not dried out and has a great crust on it. I hate normal corn bread because it reminds me of eating sand. This has a very moist center. The first time I cooked it Hubby said it was to cake like. I made a few modifications and  tonight when I cooked it I had no left overs. There were not even crumbs in the pan.

Crisp and Creamy Corn Bread
Prep:15 minuets Cool: 10 Minuets Bake: 30 minuets Oven: 375 degrees

3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 Tablespoons sugar (optional)
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1.2 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1 8.25 to 8.75 oz can of cream corn

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat an 8x8x2 inch baking pan with non stick cooking spray. Set apart.
In a large bowl combine flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl combine egg, milk and butter. Pour milk mix into the flour mix and stir until just combined. Fold in the cream corn mix. Spoon into prepared baking dish.
Bake for 30 minuets or until the top is lightly golden brown and a tooth pick comes out clean.

They say this makes 6 servings but to take two servings and cut them up, drizzle them in butter and bake them for 18 minuets. This makes croutons for a salad.


My modifications: I used self rising flour the second time and left out the sugar, baking powder and salt. I also took whole corn in a can, drained and rinsed it, Put it in a blender with a little milk and purred it to make my cream corn. I do not like the can creamed corn because it has high fructose corn syrup in it. (I am diabetic and can not have It)  I also had Bekka fry a few cubes in butter. They also make great croutons.

Wesley's suggestions (Well the ones besides for me to get back and let him have the whole pan) is to add some jalapenos and cheese.

*This has nothing to do with Publix Grocery store. They did not contact me in any way to do this post. Yes I have a mind of my own. The modifications are made to suit my family and not because the first recipe was messed up. I am from the South and it is a crime in my house to put sugar in anything corn bread related. :)

0 comments: