BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Cleaning out the Freezer and Pantry Challenge

This month is a tight money month for groceries. So I decided to do something that needed to be done any way. I decided to clean the fridge, freezer and pantry. I bought milk, eggs and butter every week. The rest came from the garden and what I already had. I was surprised at what was stashed in my freezer. The kids had so much fun going thru the freezer each day to find something to cook. They even found some Frozen Easter candy.  I am close to having one out of three freezers cleaned out.

Tonight I found one pork loin, one deer loin, and one deer roast. I did not want fried meat again so I decided to smoke them on the grill.
I found a chicken carcass  that I had cut the meat off of that I am using for a stew. Frozen pumpkin that I roasted to make pumpkin bread with. This week I will have to buy flour, sugar and cornmeal too but I still have about two weeks left to go on the freezers. The kids found some fish today that I threw on the grill while cooking the deer and pork. They wanted more fish so I think they will go freezer diving this weekend to find if I have any more.


Also we are studying Earthships. Hubby is looking into building one in the next few years. Now I just have to talk him into building it like I want. I want one like the Phoenix with the fishpond and big growing area. He said we will talk about that part. He said that Wesley would be fishing in the pond everyday. I just want to be able to grow things indoors and have fresh food. I also want the no heating bill, no water bill, and the warmth of the sun heating my house. This way we would be totally off grid and I would not have a $122 water bill each month. (We water our garden and livestock from rain barrels. That is just for 4 people.) Or have to live in a house with AC that kills my sinuses.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such a great idea! It's so easy to forget what one has and then, by the time it's "found", it's not longer edible. So emptying the shelves reduces food waste. Also, during the that time, you aren't adding new products/packaging to the mix. Brilliant! It's also a lot of fun to try to come up with delicious meals ... just with what one has on hand.

Oooh ... Earthships! I had the opportunity to visit an Earthship community in New Mexico. We got to tour through a couple of the homes. They were totally awesome! Everything about them was efficient ... from the way they were positioned to maximize the sun's movement to how grey water was used to the Eco-friendly materials used to build the place. Not only were they efficient but they were beautiful and comfortable inside.

Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts you got there, believe I may possibly try just some of it throughout my daily life......
Freezers